This blog is to share the latest research and development of acupuncture and raise the awareness of alternative treatments for your conditions, and is for information only.

Thursday 10 January 2019

Electroacupuncture helped improve bowel and bladder function in patients with transverse myelitis

Electroacupuncture was used to treat patients with transverse myelitis to help improve bowel and bladder functions. Results of the clinical study were published in the journal of Acupuncture in Medicine.

Transverse myelitis is a condition in which a section of the spinal cord becomes inflamed. This neurological disorder often damages the insulating material myelin, the covering for nerve cell fibers, disrupting the messages that the spinal cord nerves send throughout the body. As a result, communications between nerve cells in the spinal cord and the rest of the body can be interrupted. The exact reason for transverse myelitis is not know. There are many conditions that appear to initiate the disorder, including infection, multiple sclerosis etc. Symptoms of transverse myelitis range from back pain to more serious problems, such as paralysis or loss of bowel control and bladder dysfunction. There is no cure for transverse myelitis. The treatments to prevent or minimize the permanent dysfunction include corticosteroid, antiviral and other immunosuppressive medications. Alternative medications such as acupuncture have been used to enhance patient’s recovery.

Recently, a small clinical study was conducted to explore the effect of electroacupuncture on bowel and bladder function of patients with transverse myelitis. Sixteen participants were recruited. Electroacupuncture was applied at acupoints bilateral BL32, BL33, and BL35 for 30 min, once a day, five times a week for the first 4 weeks; and once every other day, three times a week for the following 4 weeks. Patients were then followed up for 6 months. Bladder and bowel function were assessed at baseline, 8-week after acupuncture and 6-month follow respectively.

Data showed that at baseline, all 16 patients had abnormal voiding and needed assisted measures >50% of the time to empty the bladders. Following 8-week treatment, five patients (31%) resumed normal voiding; six patients (38%) achieved partially normal voiding assisted by pressing the abdomen to empty the bladder without catheterization, and five patients (31%) didn’t show significant improvement. The residual urine volume (RUV) markedly decreased by 100 mL (IQR 53–393 mL) in nine patients with bladder voiding dysfunction. The number of weekly urinary incontinence episodes, 24-hour urinary episodes, and nocturia episodes per night statistical significantly diminished by 14 (95% CI 5 to 22), 5 (95% CI 1 to 9), and 4 (95% CI 0 to 7) episodes, respectively in 11 patients with urinary incontinence. Following 8-week acupuncture treatment to eight patients with faecal retention, four (50%) resumed normal bowel movements, three (38%) regained partially normal bowel movements, and one (13%) didn’t have any change.

It has been suggested that electroacupuncture stimulation at BL32 and BL33 might directly or indirectly involved in the S2–3 nerve roots, which are the parasympathetic centre of the spinal cord, innervate the muscles in the pelvic area, such as the pelvic floor, urethral sphincters, bladder and anal sphincter muscles. It is plausible that acupuncture stimulation at S2–S3 might enhance recovery of the muscle function.

The preliminary study showed that electroacupuncture might be a promising alternative for the management of bladder and bowel dysfunction in patients with transverse myelitis. Further studies with larger sample and randomized controlled trials are needed to validate the present results.
Reference

Wu J et al., Effects of electroacupuncture on bladder and bowel function in patients with transverse myelitis: a prospective observational study. Acupunct Med. 2018 Aug;36(4):261-266   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29909400

4 comments:

  1. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy, ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
    I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck.
    Dr Itua Contact Information:::
    Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmai.com)
    WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Anxiety Disorders, Back Pain, Crohn's Disease, Chronic renal failure, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, inflammatory bowel disease, Addison's disease, back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia disease, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post. Lots of useful info here. Thanks for sharing amazing tips. If you want hire the best insurance billing services in New York then visit on our website.

    ReplyDelete